One connection to real life I saw while reading the novel was Alice’s changes in size and loss of identity. With the help of the “Drink Me” and “Eat Me” drinks and cake, Alice changes sizes constantly, sometimes larger than an entire forest, and sometimes small enough to fit in a keyhole. Interestingly, after Alice transforms into a giant, Alice seems to be lost in her own trail of thought and forgets who she is. To reaffirm her identity as Alice, she begins reciting one of her lessons and finds that she recited them wrong. Based on this mistake, she makes a logical fallacy and compares herself to Mabel, a girl she knows that also does not know the recitations.
I thought that this was very related to real life since, sometimes, as children make the transition from childhood to adolescence or adulthood, they find their physical transformations to be very odd and question their own identity during the changes. This connected to a scene in the novel when the Caterpillar asks her “Who are you?”; Alice is unable to answer this question since she has gone through so many physical transitions, similar to children in today’s world, and is frustrated with her physical transitions that obscures even her own identity.
I agree that this is relative to todays world, and i think that it was one of his points with the book. I think he was trying to express the confusion in the adolescence, especially in such a rigid society.
ReplyDeleteAndrew V