Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Frankenstein at Peace

"A human being in perfection ought always to preserve a calm and peaceful mind and never to allow passion or a transitory desire to disturb his tranquility."
-Frankenstein, by Mary Shelly

In this passage, Victor Frankenstein expresses his feeling that the "perfect human" is at peace with himself constantly. As humans, however, it is impossible to achieve this status. We all have flaws that contribute to our humanity and, because of this, can never be in a state of perfect tranquility.We have emotions that make us unique and give us our distinct personalities. In not allowing passion or desire to drive our actions, we block out one of the things that makes us human. Because of this, a human being in perfection is not a human at all; in striving to become "perfect" we lose the part that separates us from the rest the rest of the creatures on Earth. Despite the fact that these animals have emotions, they do not use that passion to drive them to make innovations. That is why humankind prevails. Whether it is a weakness that brings us down or a strength that makes us what we are, it is a part of us that can not be denied. Instead, one should pursue desire in moderation,  not getting to carried away but not losing it entirely.

Erica W.

3 comments:

  1. I think this quote shows the contrast between the creature and Victor I thought. It is totally ridiculous as you said to have a human being be at peace constantly. I think that instead of trying to be 'perfect' humans should try to be better. All thinks in moderation right?
    - Emily S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually wrote about this on our semester final essay and I couldn't agree more. It's kind of like the paradox of humanity: whatever weakness humans show, they can turn into strengths and vice versa. A human being's "imperfection" is what makes them so perfect at the same time..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me wonder about what it would be like to actually achieve perfect tranquility, to be at peace with oneself in all aspects. I feel that sometimes I would enjoy this peace, but perhaps with this kind of peace I would eventually feel nonhuman.

    -Susan Y.

    ReplyDelete