Friday, February 25, 2011

I am...

I am a liberal feminist. No, I am not a mad revolter still trapped within the Proggresive era; nor am I one of your egotistical flaunts that believe the world revolves around her. I believe in truly egalitarian societies, of equal pay for equal work, no sexism- and I might even be bold enough to demand the obliteration of the glass ceiling that entrap the advancement of women. Like the invisible walls that surround a mime, it is as though I have been barricaded by a deaf crowd with predetermined sexist stereotypes. When they approach me, they see only my painted nails, my long hair, and makeup; never the abilities I possess internally. Indeed, to them, I am merely a second rate citizen.

21 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your response because eventhough I want to believe that everyone will treat me equally despite I am a female. To overcome this obstacle I think it is important to work twice as hard so we, as women, can demonstrate to society the positive influence we can have in this diverse world.

    -Cynthia Navarro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally love this, Della! Your strong word selections add such a deep meaning behind your pooint of being liberal, a feminist, and your hatred towards the view that women are second rate citizens. I loved this assignment, because I love doing creative writing pieces. Yours is so awesome!
    -Meredith K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Della,

    This is such a powerful statement. I applaud you for writing and posting it. I really like how Ellison's structure has enhanced your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Della, you never cease to amaze me with your potential and writing abilities. I agree with you about the sexism in modern society as a female myself with large ambitions. With the hopes of becoming a sucessful Copy Editor in the cutthroat business of journalism, I am constantly doubted by peers who claim my skin is not thick enough to handle such continuous criticism and hard work. Perhaps my mascara is too heavy or my purses too oversized, but the fact that I am a female should not hinder my potential as a viscious journalist. Sure my humor and approachable personality contradicts the characteristic of typical print journalists, but when my family says it is because i am a "fragile girl"... well that is when I am more motivated be triumphant.
    I know your dreams of going into law Della, and you are the most qualified AND trendy person I know that WILL succeed in that business. Do not shorten your heels; do not fear lipstick. You are a woman, but you are not a second rate citizen. Use these "predetermined sexual stereotypes" as motivation to prove them wrong.

    ~Jacy White
    The Other Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daaang gurl, this is deep :D Its good to see that you are standing up for what you think is right. Even though I'm a guy, I see very easily the talents that you hold, the talents that all men and women hold. I believe that God has blessed all of us with gifts, and women are not excluded from this. I have never seen a girl work as hard and diligently as you, and I truly admire that. Plus, you have a sense of humor, unlike many of us who get trapped in the academic game. I hope that you don't continue to feel like a second rate citizen, and I surely hope that you dont feel the need to prove yourself, for people should not appreciate you for your talents or for how smart you are (which you really are smart), but they should appreciate you for the person you really are, whether you would be a man or a woman. I hope that all made sense hahaha.

    Daniel Hawkins

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you used this concept to present a serious issue about equality in life. I agree with you that women don't just have a pretty face, they can posses intellectual knowledge. Your I am... presents the thoughts of today's women really well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great. I like this recurring idea of taking the format of "Invisible Man's" opening and adapting it to a different person because it truly is such a powerful statement. It also addresses the idea that we all are invisible in ways often overlooked, and that the narrator was not the sole holder of such masked feelings.
    -Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Della, I know the feeling. I completely agree with you and I really am upset about society's lack of understanding of liberalism and feminism. It's horrible that we're still seen as less and that we still have to act a certain way. I constantly feel trapped because I am told that I cannot be the person I want to be. I talk too loudly, I dress too masculinly, I speak my mind too much, I do things that are nont "lady-like". I don't want to fall into the stereo-type, so I don't. But I certainly feel the pressure and I will sympathize with you because I know that you do as well.

    - Melanie N.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love this.. In more than one way, you and I are one in the same... I love the optimism, but like James Brown said, "This is a man's world.."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well although I can't exactly relate to the issues of feminism or liberalism, due to the fact that I am neither a woman nor of liberal thinking, the idea of struggle and societal hinderances is effectively presented in two ways: In it's structure, and that it exhibits such ideas through the eyes of a real female individual who is actively and presently engaged in the issue. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  11. Della,

    Your post reminds me of the “I am” writing we did in Mrs. Washington’s class last year. The way in which you portray yourself is, indeed, meaningful and inspiring. As a male feminist, I find it atrocious how society sometimes views and treats women as second-class citizens. Although this might be changing in the United States, it is still prevalent throughout the rest of te world and it is crucial that we just not fight at home, but also throughout the world, so one day, we can have a truly egalitarian society.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This poem has a really good statement about how society should be like. Women and men should be equal, and women should be seen not just for their looks, but also for their brains and personality too. This was really good, I'm glad you wrote it.
    -Christiana Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Della,

    This is sooo deep.. I liked your simile about the invisible walls that surround a mime. It really conveys the limitations of being a female in society.

    I have a question: is part of the reason why you cut your hair short again? ahaha

    -Susan Y.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Della,
    I completely agree with you! I especially liked the part "nor am I one of your egotistical flaunts that believe the world revolves around her." I see girls here claiming that they are feminists, but when it really comes to real-world application of feminist ideology, they refuse to follow it and instead use it as their excuse for being bossy. Your high level of vocabulary is very contributive to the text! Your version of "I am" is very different and definitely more insightful then my little silly, playful version! It's on my team blog (JANY__) if you want to read it, even though I don't recommend you so!

    Chloe K.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm.... I appreciate the sentiments expressed here, but I believe you may have taken artistic license: I know you have short hair! However, I would like to know why you believe others perceive you as "second-rate". And have you experienced this glass ceiling, or simply the perception of it? Please understand I am not mocking, but genuinely curious!
    -Ace D.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nicely done, Della. I'm impressed how you created yourself as a jewel; people see you from different facets and see a different trait, possibly some that defines you and some don't. I believe that to see the true you is to look into the heart of the jewel, where the light splits and exit each facets.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Della, what an absolutely beautiful and poetic way to describe the oppression that is placed upon women in society. When I read the sentence that said, "I might even be bold enough to demand the obliteration of the glass ceiling that entrap the advancement of women." I literally got the chills from understanding and feeling yur passion. My ideas are very similar to yours and I believe that we truly need an egalitarian society. I think it is going to take many of the misunderstanding and closed minded to realize that our clothing and makeup does not define who we are or what great things we are capable of doing. I myself love to dress up and wear makeup and do my hair, but I am a firm supporter in equality for ALL and I do not want to be a mime for the rest of my life.
    Amazing post!
    -Katie M.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok very nice remake but I have one question that I always think of whenever feminism comes up. You say that you believe in "truely egalitarian societies" but often women still demand that the man open the door, pay, always initiate. So women want to be equal, but they also want to be in the female stereotype. What are your thoughts on this "Mystery Liberal Feminist Blogger"?

    ReplyDelete
  19. You go girl! Awesome power and great diction. You have alternated my thoughts on feminists for sure.

    Cam T

    ReplyDelete
  20. Della this is truly amazing! As long as we keep pushing the boundaries like this, our voices will be heard. You are a great example that we are as strong, intelligent, and overall competent as any man!

    ~Vanessa S.

    ReplyDelete